Thursday, September 22, 2011

Art Nouveau

Cranberry & midnight, I love Art Nouveau and always keep my eyes out for prints that hint at it. I first cam across Mucha's amazing illustrations as a little girl after coveting the hard cover copy my mother had of Sarah Bernhardt. 
Ooak/vintage Katherine

He was born Alfons Maria Mucha in the town of IvančiceMoravia, in what is now the Czech Republic. Mucha designed a poster for the actress Sarah Bernhardt, the most famous actress in Paris at the time. She loved the work, landing him a 16year contract immortalizing the beauty in his is unique style called Art Nouveau. Mucha would produce paintings, posters, advertisements, and book illustrations, as well as designs for jewelry, carpets, wallpaper, and theatre sets.


Here is one of my favorite advertisements of Mucha's.